Parrots Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This site is dedicated for helping and supporting PARROTS and their OWNERS

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Live Chat Available on the home page to MEMBERS!!! ----- MORE SPECIAL FEATURES TO COME TO MEMBERS  -----  JOIN NOW ***IT'S FREE***
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Gallery
Dusty? Spraying? Empty
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 239 on Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:06 am

Dusty? Spraying?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
melalmighty
Egg
Egg
melalmighty

Dusty? Spraying? Memberfwt
Birdie Points : 14

Dusty? Spraying? Empty
PostSubject: Dusty? Spraying?   Dusty? Spraying? EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 12:14 am

Hello all again,

Right here goes, Sapphire my 11 month old CAG looks dusty when she grooms and has a scratch, now ive been reading about spraying and bathing on these forums and how essential they are to their everyday routine.
I notice that the water has to misted warm and preferably in the AM so there is pleanty of time to dry, to do this the water has to be quite hot in the mister for it to come out warm, is this the right or wrong way?
Ive questioned about mites in the past, she is an inside bird so they say its highly unlikely she will get them (i just like to be cautious).
Ive noticed Sapphire try and bath herself in her water bowl (i thought she was having a tantrum) should i put a shallow bowl of water in the bottom of her cage and if so should the water be warm again (but it will still go cold).
My my there are so many thing to learn about these beautiful creatures. One things for sure so far she knows i'm boss. Thank you xx
Back to top Go down
jules
Chick
Chick
jules

Dusty? Spraying? Gmodp
Birdie Points : 280

Dusty? Spraying? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dusty? Spraying?   Dusty? Spraying? EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 1:40 pm

yes you're right to make the water hottish so it wont come out too cold. you could try a shallow bowl of warm water too,but make it a heavy one if poss. so it wont tip over.

i try to spray jasper every day and as early as possible cos sometimes he loves to get absolutley soaked and it does take him a goo two/three hours to get completley dry.

and dont worry mel were all still learning Dusty? Spraying? Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
melalmighty
Egg
Egg
melalmighty

Dusty? Spraying? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dusty? Spraying?   Dusty? Spraying? EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 11:46 pm

Thanks Jules, Sapphire hates it, i spray upwards rather than direct, i have only just started doing it as i never realised it was essential. When she has a scratch (quite often) plumes of dust comes out, although she is not an outside bird so they have said she is very unlikely to get mites. She is wing clipped which looks quite brutal, first clip was when she was 6 months old November 25th 2009, left an empty space under her wing, so i assume her grooming herself quite brutally is normal???? Her beak is also at times very grey and dry looking, she has palm oil daily, it sometimes has a small flake come off the looks rough, now on curved bit of her beak it looks like she has a small pale coloured patch (i think this is where she digs when she wants to come out of her cage when we go out.
I appreciate everyone advice and youre right we are all learning and i presume we always will be, theyre are beautiful creatures and are hubby and my substitute for children xx
Back to top Go down
jules
Chick
Chick
jules

Dusty? Spraying? Gmodp

Dusty? Spraying? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dusty? Spraying?   Dusty? Spraying? EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 11:05 am

try to spray over sapphires head (like rain falling) rather than upwards and if she starts to flap aim under her wings too. she will get to like it eventually,especially if you make it look like you're having fun too Dusty? Spraying? Icon_smile

the dust from her feathers and on her beak is normal too. the pale patch could be from her scratching about and it is ok for them to have small chips flake away. sometimes they can appear to be a bit rough with their grooming but keep an eye on her in case something may be irritating her wings. was it a bad clip do you think?
Back to top Go down
melalmighty
Egg
Egg
melalmighty

Dusty? Spraying? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dusty? Spraying?   Dusty? Spraying? EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 11:29 am

The wing clipping....... mmmmm im no expert but it looks quite bad when she was clipped, this feathers that are clipped are still on her and you can see tho white where its clipped, she only had a bout 3 long feathers left on each side. Will they fall out will she pull them out i think there are some new ones going as the space between her wings is filling up again. She also likes to use her beak on her tail feathers, she has broken one oir 2 of them off, am i rightly to assume this si normal. Again thanks for all your help.
I didnt mist her today but tomorrow im taking her in the wet room and im going to create a rain shower. i will let you know how it goes. xx
Back to top Go down
jules
Chick
Chick
jules

Dusty? Spraying? Gmodp

Dusty? Spraying? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dusty? Spraying?   Dusty? Spraying? EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 12:12 pm

her three long feathers will fall out when she next gets a molt.has she broken her tail feathers or chewed them out?

a rain shower sounds lovely mel Dusty? Spraying? Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
melalmighty
Egg
Egg
melalmighty

Dusty? Spraying? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dusty? Spraying?   Dusty? Spraying? EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 2:06 pm

Her tail feather broke off half way up, when she grooms herself she is what I call rough, every 10 minutes or so she has a good old preen. I also don't see her drink much lijevtiday I've not seen her have a drink at all. She likes sugar free squash if she is meant to have it or not I don't know she has it from my glass now and them not today as I've not have none. I will rain shower in the morning and let you know howvthat goes. Thank you your advice is important and appreciated,
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dusty? Spraying? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dusty? Spraying?   Dusty? Spraying? Empty

Back to top Go down

Dusty? Spraying?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parrots Paradise :: The Parrots :: The Parrots :: African Grey :: Health & Care-
Jump to: